Sunday, August 12, 2007

The real story behind the scenes...

But this is how the real story goes...

Early to mid 1970's (Prologue...)
This is the time, where my parents started to meet each other. They started as travelling couples too, just like me and pohyin. Mum had to be stationed in Kelantan as a nurse while dad's running a kicimiao trading business here in KL. After years of courtship by dad,and years of weekend travel from KL to Kelantan, finally he wed mum, in the mid 70's and they stayed in KL. By then, dad was a medium size business owner together with his elder brother.

Mid to end 1970's, (The beginning...)
Dad's business had expanded to supply trading goods to Johor Bahru & Singapore. (Those times, even a telephone call booking is hard enough, and internet buying wasn't available that time), and he decided to run the business alone with his own company.And from there, after months of planning with mum, they finally moved to a place where it's most strategic to transport goods, from KL to singapore. And they chose Segamat.
During that short time,dad and a few of his close friends moved real fast to build up a home there and a business office in Segamat while at the same time mum's already pregnant. That time, most of the time my mum's alone, and her only was her neighbour....another Leong's family as well. Being in Segamat, and my mum from KL, and from English school, she couldn't communicate well with the residents there who very much prefer Hokkien or Mandarin. It was this neighbour, Leong's family, converse in cantonese, the only chinese dialect my mum could understand. According to the some old scriptures i managed to find from mum's old documents, it seems that mum and the neighbour's family's wife, Mrs. Leong as well, were sharing recipeies for pregnant ladies, cause both of them are pregnant. While dad's too busy with business setting up, both of them, mum and her neighbour became good close friends, and sharing advises on pregnancy. By April 1979, mum's neighbour gave birth to a daughter in a hospital here in Segamat, and she named her Leong Poh Yin. Mum and dad visited Mrs.Leong in the hospital,(that time, they were the closet friends to my mum and dad), and took a glance at baby pohyin. In 3 months time, mum's about to give birth to me. And she asked pohyin's mother, if she would to give birth to a son, she will let him to marry pohyin,since both of them are born on the year of the goat with the months favours good fengshui for both family....And pohyin's mother agreed...
By July 1979, mum gave birth to a boy, whom's me. According to an antique scripture i discovered (it was a receipt in a restaurant in Segamat dated all the way to August 1979, 28 years before the day this blog is written) evidence showed that both side of the parents seemed to have a small dinner celebration to celebrate our birth and we were already destined to marry each other.In chinese we call this "jeefookwaifun".

1980's (The good old days...)
In the early 1980's, dad's business was running very good in Segamat. Mum's been staying at home to take care of the family, and had exceptionally good ties with Poh yin's family. PohYin's family run their own business as well, in the sewing industry. According to mum's testaments, it seemed that time, most of my days are spent at pohyin's house with me playing with pohyin at the garden, or at the the living room. While my mum would hang out most of the time at Poh yin's house with her mum.

Mid 1980's (The tide turns...)
Dad's business had not been good due to the economic downturn in the late 80's. Even one of his business partner ran away with his money.Moreover, with more Mafia style gangsters from Johor Bahru began to choose to reside in Segamat, safety had been an issue. In fact, when the partner ran away with the money,he was robbed by the JB gangsters in Segamat and gunned down by 4 guys with AK-47's 7.62mm calibre and 2 guys with SIG 552 commandos 5.56mm calibre. And they are tracing the leads to dad's business to rob dad's company as well, due to economy condition was at a real bad condition that time, gangsters had to depend on robbing of anything for survival. Fearing for my mum and my safety, my dad decided to move back to PJ as soon as possible. As we pack to leave, my parents vow to come back to Segamat to look for the PohYin's mother to ensure me and pohyin get married as sworn from the day we were born.

Mid 80's -End 1990's (The lost touch...)
And from here in PJ, i began my studies, having no idea at all what happened, as was being too young to understand the situation. The only memory i recalled is when i dream when i was in primary school. I always dreamt of a girl with big eyes that always played with me when i was a little small boy... i couldn't remember a thing at all, except her big eyes, nothing more. And my parents only told me that somehow I'm supposed to married to someone, but they will not tell, until they found her. During my year in secondary school, my parents went back to segamat for a few days to look for pohyin's parents, but find that they too have already shifted, as safety had worsen in segamat due to gangsterism.Even after a few trips to Segamat, our former neighbours couldn't be located, despite spending days asking around from local people. And by end of 1990, my dad and mum never mentioned anymore about my wife should be...and they decide to let me to decide my marriage's destiny...

End 1990's - 2006 (The forgotten 20 years of marriage...)
During this time, I fully concentrate on my studies in science and technology, before doing my STPM and completed my degree in Aeronautical Engineering by the year 2002. During the 20 years of my life, I kept dreaming of a little girl, who played me with at a house's garden, whom i can't really recall, but only remembered i do have a deep feelings for her, but I just can't explain where or how is feeling came.... it was as if it was just there since the day i was born... It was dreams that appeared in my life...

Sept 2006 - Oct 2006 (The discovery...)
By 2006, this dreams been coming back to me again, and i decided to relook back at the archive of my dad's documents and decided to search back this long lost dream. Who this girl actually is? This was the question that came into my mind all the time. And after a few interogation with mum and dad, and finally they revealed this story to me. And so, I made a trip to Segamat, with hope with the old address, I could find her. But couldn't.
By 2006 Oct, after 28 years, somehow....someway, we crossed path at MSN, out of millions of people out there.
And after chatting and meeting up, only we knew we are the lost couple.

That how we begin...

1 comment:

amyguan said...

bill says ' yeah right'